Halloween Candy Baskets
These decorative paper baskets challenge little ones to cut out and assemble basic shapes of a basket including the body and handle as well as create a decorative bat with wiggly eyes and wings. These cute Vampire Bat Halloween baskets hold one small treat, such as a cookie or brownie, or a small handful of candies. They are perfect for parties!
What You Need:
- 1 piece of black construction paper, 8.5” x 4” (basket)
- 1 piece of black construction paper, 6” x .5” (handle)
- 1 piece of black construction paper, 6” x 2” (wings)
- 2 wiggly eyes
- White glue
- Black foam
- White foam
- Clear tape
- Orange tissue paper 6” x 6”
- Small juice glass or beaker
What You Do:
- Have your child wrap a small juice glass or beaker with the black construction paper to create the basket part of the project. (8.5” x 4”) Tape the seam together with clear tape to hold it in place.
- Fold the free section of the paper into triangles and flatten one on top of the other to create the base of the basket. Use tape to hold the folded paper in place.
- Remove the basket body from the glass and staple on top of the tape to reinforce the seam.
- Staple the black construction paper handle in place, one end on each side of the inside of the basket.
- Fold the last piece of black construction paper (6” x 2”) in half and place it on a table horizontally with the folded side to the right. Draw one wing using the folded side as the base of the wing that will attach to the basket. Cut the wing out with the paper folded. Unfold the paper and cut it in half to create two wings.
- Fold a small edge of one wing, glue the edge and press it against the side of the basket. Repeat with the other wing on the opposite side of the basket.
- Draw the bat head on a piece of black foam and cut it out. Glue it from the mid-way point of the back of the head and press it on the front of the basket so the head comes above the basket.
- Glue the wiggly eyes on the bat face.
- Cut two tiny triangles out of white foam for the bat fangs. Glue them on the bat face under the eyes.
After the glue dries, have your child place the orange tissue paper inside the basket. Fill the basket with candy or treats and enjoy!