Halloween is a celebration of the dead, and darkness, but light is everywhere, from lit pumpkins to candelabras. Your child can make her very own jar light that will shine bright throughout the night!
What You Do:
- Ask your child to paint the entire surface of the recycled jar using orange tempera paint. Allow the orange paint to dry completely.
- Encourage her to use a small brush to paint a jack-o'-lantern face on one side of the jar. Fill in the line painting with black paint. Allow the paint to dry.
- If your jar is going to be displayed outside, fill it halfway with sand so it remains stable.
- Put a tea light in the bottom of the jar and help her light the candle.
- Place your light somewhere where it'll flicker all night long!
Helpful Hint: Instead of sand, you can fill the jar halfway with water, take the tea light out of the aluminum base and float the candle while it is lit. This will help keep clean up simple and it'll be easier to light the candle as it'll be closer to the rim of the jar.