Shadows, ghosts and things that go bump in the night are Halloween staples. Light up the night by making this silhouette candle holder. The silhouettes may cause a bit of a fright, but they'll also help you avoid the monsters and will definitely add to the spooky fun of Halloween.
What You Need:
- Recycled glass jar
- Tempera paint (orange)
- Print out, or photo copy of a scary image (no taller than the jar)
- Craft knife (with parental supervision)
- Cutting mat
- Glue stick
- Tea light
What You Do:
- Ask your child to paint the outside of the jar until it's completely covered in orange paint. Set it aside to dry completely.
- Help her use the craft knife on top of the cutting mat to carefully cut out all of the details of the image she chose to print out, or copy. Go slow with this part of the process, making sure to be safe and to carefully cut out each component of the silhouette.
- Have her apply some glue to the back of the cut out image and delicately adhere it to the outside of the painted jar.
- Repeat this process to create spooky images all around the jar, so it's completely wrapped in silhouettes.
- Ask her to fill the jar halfway with water and float the tea light in the water for a shimmery effect that won't leave a mess.
Helpful Tip: If you don't have access to a printer, or copy machine, have your child use black paint to paint a silhouette image on the outside of the jar.