Make Grandma and Grandpa Handprint Sweatshirts
We all know that there is nothing grandparents enjoy more than homemade presents! This project has an extra bonus: It's a wearable creation! Your child will love whipping up some "hand"crafted outerwear for Grandma and Grandpa, and they will love having a reminder of your child's tender age and tiny handprint for years and years to come.
What You Need:
- Two new, plain sweatshirts
- Fabric paints in assorted colors
- Wide disposable containers, such as plastic produce toys
What You Do:
- Wash and dry the sweatshirts. You may want to take this opportunity to show your child how the washer and dryer work in your home!
- Ask your child to line her workspace with plenty of old newspaper. Not only will her hands be covered with paint in a few minutes, but you will be teaching her the importance of keeping clean.
- Have your child choose her favorite colors of fabric paint, and pour enough of each to cover the bottoms of each tray.
- Lay the sweatshirts flat on the newspaper. Invite your child to press a hand flat into a container of paint and then carefully onto the sweatshirt to make a print.
- Ask her to make another handprint, wiping her hand with a rag before she switches colors.
- Continue this process until the entire sweatshirt is covered with festive handprints. Let your child choose whether she wants to create a pattern or a random design.
- Make sure your child allows the sweatshirt to dry thoroughly before wrapping it up!