Add a little island flavor to your next lazy afternoon with a Hawaiian arts and craft project! Inspired by the tropical leis worn by native Hawaiians, this project lets your kindergartener use mini cupcake papers to create her own beautiful necklace.
What You Need:
- 5-6 straws
- Colorful mini cupcake papers
What You Do:
- Take the twine and measure it around your head. Cut the twine to the desired length for a necklace.
- Cut the straws into small pieces. Each piece should be about one inch long.
- Open the cupcake papers and flatten them out on a table.
- Use your hole punch to m ake a small hole in the center of each cupcake paper.
- Experiment with different designs by cutting shapes and patterns into some of the cupcake papers.
- Time to costruct your lei! Take one end of your twine and string it through one of your small pieces of straw. Make sure you keep a tight hold on the other side of the twine -- you don't want your straw piece to fall off! See if a sibling or a parent can hold onto the twine for you or secure it under a book while you continue.
- After you string that first piece of straw, string the twine through the hole of one of your cupcake papers. Alternate straw and cupcake papers until you fill up the twine.
- When you're done filling your lei, tie the ends of twine together. Put it over your head. You're ready for a Hawaiian vacation!