This heart chain will help spread the love on Valentine's Day. Using red, pink, and white paper, your child can fold dozens of paper hearts into a beautiful heart chain that will give your space a festive charm. Help your child make a colorful heart chain for your home or classroom this Valentine's Day.
What You Need:
- Red construction paper
- Pink construction paper
- White construction paper
- Mini stapler
What You Do:
- Place a sheet of red construction paper vertically on a table in front of your child.
- Have her fold the top of the paper down to meet the bottom of the paper. The paper should now be folded in half.
- Show her how to use a ruler to measure half an inch. Starting at the top left edge of the folded paper, have her make a mark on the paper with a pencil at every half inch mark until she reaches the end of the paper.
- Help her repeat this process with the bottom edge of the paper.
- Now show her how to use the ruler to match up the first top mark with the first bottom mark.
- Let her use a pencil to draw a line along the ruler that connects each top and bottom mark.
- Have her continue to make these lines across the rest of the page.
- Next, let her use scissors to cut each penciled line. Make sure she cuts the paper while it is still folded. Each of her paper strips should have a fold.
- Help your child make similar strips of folded paper from the white and pink sheets of construction paper.
- Have her choose the first color strip she wants to turn into a heart.
- Help her grab both ends of the strip before folding them inward. If she does this right, she should see the shape of a heart form.
- Let her hold onto her heart while you carefully staple the ends together.
- To create her chain, have her string the next strip of paper through the already stapled heart before stapling the ends together.
- She should repeat this process until all of her paper strips are used up. Once she's done, help her hang her heart chain where everyone can enjoy it!