Paper Heart Craft
This paper heart craft is a simple Valentine's Day activity that gets kids to stretch their fine motor and craft skills. Prepare your kindergartener for Valentine's Day with this sweet paper heart craft that's all about heart! He'll get in some practical sewing lessons as he works to create this adorable paper heart craft. Make a paper heart craft with your child this February.
What You Need:
- Hole punch
- Construction paper
What You Do:
- Have your child use a pencil to draw a large heart on the construction paper. For an added flair of Valentine spirit, make sure the construction paper is red or pink.
- Let him use scissors to cut out the heart.
- Help him hole punch holes all around the the heart's edge. He'll want to keep the holes evenly spaced -- ideally about a centimeter apart.
- Tape a long strip of yarn to the back of the paper heart. Make sure it's taped at either the top or the bottom of the heart.
- Show your child how to pull the yarn through up through one of the nearby holes.
- Encourage him to sew his heart in any pattern he likes. He can sew just the outline of the heart, or he can sew across the middle of the heart (as shown in the picture above). Whatever he chooses, make sure he alternates with pulling the yarn up through a hole and down through the next hole.
- If he messes up, no need to worry! Just help him undo his last few sews before letting him try again.
- When all holes are sewn, let your child use scissors to trim the yarn.
- Have him tape the end of the yarn to the back of the heart to finish.