A heart hug can brighten up any dreary Valentine's Day. Combine two familiar Valentine staples with this charming heart hug craft! Your child will cut, fold and decorate construction paper to create a heart ready for a heart hug. Give a friend a heart hug with this fun holiday craft.
What You Need:
- Construction paper
- Wiggle eyes
What You Do:
- Have your child draw a giant heart on the construction paper.
- Let him use scissors to cut it out.
- Help him fold another sheet of construction paper in half, length-wise.
- Have him use scissors to cut the paper along the folded line.
- Now he should have two rectangular sheets of paper. Set aside one of them for later.
- Help your child use a pencil to divide the rectangle into two narrow rectangles. Show him how to use a ruler to keep his line as straight as possible.
- Have him use scissors to cut along the penciled line, creating two narrow strips of construction paper.
- Help him make small accordion folds with each strip of paper. Accordion folds are made by starting on one end of the strip and making folds back and forth until reaching the end. These bendy strips will be his heart's arms!
- Let your child glue the arms behind his paper heart.
- Remember the rectangular piece of construction paper you set aside earlier? Time to bring it out. Have your child cut two small hearts out of this sheet of paper.
- Let him glue these hearts to the end of each of the heart's arms.
- Have him color in his heart with a marker.
- Let him glue wiggle eyes onto his heart.
- For the finishing touch, your child can glue on a piece of yarn in the shape of a smile on the heart's face.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.