This activity will not only keep the kids busy for a while, but it will work their hand muscles-- which they're still strengthening for smooth writing. And this Heart Brooch is sure to make Mom (or Grandma) really happy, whether it's Mother's Day or just the right time for a heartful gift!
What You Need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon oil
- food coloring
- 1 package of pin backs (available at any craft store)
- watercolor or tempera paint and small paintbrushes
What You Do:
- Mix together the flour, water, salt, cream of tartar, oil, and food coloring. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from pan and knead until blended smooth.
- When mixture is cool, place in a plastic sandwich bag or airtight container. To make the brooch(s), shape the dough into hearts. Before they're totally dry, press pin backs into the backs of each of the hearts.
- When the hearts are totally dry, have the kids paint them with their favorite colors. Voila! Instant jewelry, either to give someone special, or for your kids themselves!