Make a Hershey's Kiss Christmas Tree Activity
This counting activity will give your child the satisfaction of creating something that the whole family will “Ooh” and “Ahh” over during the holidays, and best of all, it’s edible! Using a cone shaped piece of Styrofoam as the form, your child can glue Kisses onto the “tree” using a low temperature glue gun. See how many Kisses it takes to make this yummy smelling and yummy tasting tree.
What You Need:
- Styrofoam cone
- Hershey’s Kisses (Mint Truffle, shown here, is recommended because it's very aromatic, not to mention festive!)
- Low temperature glue gun with glue
- Fresh cranberries
What You Do:
- Help your child put a large dot of glue onto the bottom side of the candy and adhere it to the cone, and then hold it in place for a couple of seconds.
- Work your way from top to bottom or left to right all along the cone. Ask your child to count how many Kisses it takes to complete each column or row. This is great counting practice!
- Repeat step 2 until the entire cone is covered in candy.
- Allow the glue to dry completely before attempting to move the “tree” onto a platter.
- Help your child transfer the “tree” from your workspace onto a platter and sprinkle cranberries all around the base for color. Be sure to have your child count the cranberries as he works. More counting practice!
Make a couple of these trees to dress up the holiday dessert table. A refreshing scent of mint will fill the area and the trees will be a festive touch to any decor. Just be sure to take a picture of your child’s handiwork before all of the Kisses are devoured!