Homemade Dog Treats
Why should Fido be left out from all the festive holiday baking? These dog treats are simple for your child to make and provide him with helpful fraction practice, not to mention a lesson in cooking basics. They make great gifts for your favorite pooch and other friendly neighborhood dogs! These biscuits are lacking any "weird" or unnatural ingredients to the point that they are even edible for humans!
What You Need:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 6 tbsp. Crisco
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup flaxseed (optional, but healthy!)
What You Do:
- Show your child how to preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Have your child combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in the Crisco; help your child add in the egg and water to the mixture.
- Ask you child to stir in the flaxseed, if you are including it.
- Invite your child to roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface until it reaches about 1/2-inch thickness. Have him use cookie cutters in his favorite holiday shapes to cut up the dough.
- Bake the biscuits for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden brown.