Homemade dog treats are fun to make and delicious for your household pet! If your dog feels left out of the family's festive holiday baking, make a batch of tasty homemade dog treats to appease him. These homemade dog treats are simple for your child to make, and the cooking process provides a good lesson on fractions and measurements as well. These homemade dog treats make excellent Christmas gifts for dogs, so go ahead and make a whole batch for your furry friend and his neighborhood companions. These homemade dog treats are made using only ordinary kitchen ingredients, and they are even edible for humans!
What You Need:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 6 tbsp. Crisco
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup flaxseed (optional, but healthy!)
What You Do:
- Show your child how to preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Have your child combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in the Crisco; help your child add in the egg and water to the mixture.
- Ask your child to stir in the flaxseed, if you are including it.
- Invite your child to roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface until it reaches about 1/2-inch thickness. Have him use cookie cutters in his favorite holiday shapes to cut up the dough.
- Bake the biscuits for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden brown.