Turn regular water into a tasty treat perfect for consuming on a hot day! Your child will learn more about chemical reactions, and how ingredients interact together, with interesting and tasty results!
What You Need:
- 2-3 lemons
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1+ teaspoon sugar
- Ice cubes
- Paring knife
What You Do:
- Invite your child to help slice the lemons in half using a paring knife. Learning how to use a knife, with adult supervision, is an important skill and great for honing hand-eye coordination!
- Now she can get out a glass and juice the sliced lemons into the glass, making sure the juice is free of any seeds.
- Brainstorm with your child how she could add carbonation to her lemon juice. Lemon juice is an acid, which reacts when paired with a base, causing bubbly results!
- Invite your child to add the baking soda to the lemon juice and see what happens! She might be pretty surprised with the results!
- Now your child can add water to the glass, filling it three-fourths full and then add sugar to taste.
- She can finish her lemony, fizzy water with ice cubes and enjoy!
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.