Store-bought granola bars can be tasty but unfortunately not always healthy. They often contain things children (and adults) should avoid in their diets—additives, preservatives, trans fats and tons of added sugar. With this recipe your child can create a simple homemade version using wholesome, natural ingredients like oatmeal, honey and raisins. The end result makes an easy breakfast bar, novel lunchtime treat, or nourishing after-school snack!
What You Do:
- Spread the oats and sunflower seeds on a baking sheet. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Add the kasha and brown rice cereal to the oat mixture and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the honey without stirring until large bubbles begin to form.
- Now you can add the oat mixture, raisins and salt to the honey and stir to coat.
- Press the mixture into a greased 8 x 8-inch pan.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes, then cut it into squares.
These snacks are great to enjoy for breakfasts on-the-go, field trips and outtings - you'll know your child is having something healthy and he'll know he's snacking on something thoughtfully made!