Homemade Lip Balm
Bring together science and style with this sweet homemade lip balm project. With just a little bit of cooking and chemistry, your child can create a beauty product that smells and tastes exactly the way she wants!
What You Need:
- Small container with lid
- microwave-safe bowl
- Wax paper
- Petroleum jelly
- Powdered drink mix
- Measuring spoon
What You Do:
- Your child should start by scooping approximately 2 tablespoons of petroleum jelly into the microwave-safe bowl. This doesn’t have to be exact – the petroleum jelly will be difficult to measure so don’t worry about getting a precise amount.
- Have her put the coffee cup in the microwave and cover it with a piece of waxed paper.
- Microwave the petroleum jelly for approximately 30 seconds.
- Let her remove it from the microwave and stir with a spoon.
- If the jelly isn’t thin enough to stir easily, have her return it to the microwave to heat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Help her measure approximately 1 tablespoon of the powdered drink mix.
- Have her stir it into the petroleum jelly.
- Time to sample the lip balm. Does it taste strong enough? If not, she should add small amounts of drink mix until the smell and taste is perfect for her.
- Let her return the petroleum jelly mixture to the microwave and heat for another 30 seconds.
- Have her stir the mixture and then let it cool.
- When it is cool to the touch, she can spoon the lip balm into the container. Allow to cool completely before covering tightly.
Your young lip balm chef can make a larger batch to give to the girls in her scout troop, swim team or cheerleading squad. Encourage her to try different flavor combinations and see which one everyone likes the best.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.