Return to school in style! Dress up your pencils -- or at least their holders -- with this delightful and always seasonally appropriate arts and craft project. Your second grader will get to show off pencil holders that declare both her creativity and her passion for the great outdoors.
What You Need:
- 4 paper rolls
- Colored construction paper
- Cotton balls
- Tempera paint
What You Do:
- Paint each roll to represent the different seasons. Maybe you want a dark stormy backdrop for the wintery months (sprinkled with snowflakes, of course) and a bright sunlit sky to represent summer. It's up to you! Just have the rolls represent your interpretation of the seasons. Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Using a pencil, draw seasonal details on colored construction paper. Consider using a snowman for winter, flowers for spring, a sun for summer and a tree with barren branches for autumn.
- Cut out these seasonal details and glue them directly onto the front of each roll.
- Pull apart cotton balls into smaller pieces and glue them in place as clouds and snow.
- Glue the bottom of each roll to a cardboard strip -- this will prevent your pencils from falling out of the bottom.
- Fill your new holders with your pencils and pens. You're ready for school!