Drift away with this charming craft that lets your child create a paper hot air balloon or two. You can string the clever mobile design in your backyard or in your child's bedroom -- either way the colorful fleet will add a dash of whimsy to any space.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- Help your child print out the balloon cutouts on card stock.
- Have her use scissors to cut out each balloon.
- Let her use a pencil to lightly draw a line down the center of each balloon.
- Have her fold each balloon along this line.
- Explain to your child that each hot air balloon mobile will be made up of four of her balloon cutouts. Let her pick four she wants to use for her first mobile.
- Help her glue the back half of one cutout to the back half of another cutout.
- Repeat this process with the other two cutouts.
- Help her glue the back of her first pair of cutouts to the back of her second pair of cutouts to create a colorful mobile.
- Have her trim the paper edges if the balloons don't line up perfectly.
- Help her use a needle to poke a hole in the top of the balloon mobile.
- Let her push a length of thread through the hole.
- Help her tie a knot in the thread.
- Continue to make more hot air balloon mobiles with the remaining balloon cutouts. Once she's done, the only task left is to decide where to hang up her pretty handiwork!