How to Make a Magic Wand
Help your child channel his inner wizard with this crafty activity perfect for imaginative youngsters. Made from recycled chopsticks and paper, this wand is truly the product of a magical do-it-yourself spell!
What You Need:
- Wooden chopstick
- White paper
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue stick
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brush
What You Do:
- Let your child squirt a layer of white glue on top of the paper.
- Have him set the chopstick diagonally over one of the corners of the paper. The chopstick should be sitting snugly in the puddle of glue.
- Help him roll the chopstick up in the paper like a tight burrito, making sure to tuck and glue the edges down.
- Allow the glue to dry before continuing.
- This step is adults only! Use the hot glue gun to draw spiral designs and fancy bumps and swirls all over the wand's paper surface.
- Set the wand aside to dry.
- Let your child set out a few sheets of newspaper on a flat surface.
- Help him squirt a small pile of paint onto the newspaper.
- Then have him paint the wand using the paintbrush. Show him how the dried glue gun designs show through the paint.
- Allow the wand to dry completely before sending your little wizard off to play!