How to Make a Secret Code
Not all secrets are bad. Check out this activity where critical thinking skills will be put to the test. Encourage a bit of mystery and intrigue by teaching your clever kid how to create and use secret codes.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- Start off by having your child use scissors to cut a long and narrow strip from a white piece of paper.
- Help him wrap the paper tightly around a broom handle. The edges should touch, but not overlap.
- Have him tape the ends of the paper strip in place on the broom handle.
- Let him lay the broom handle on a flat surface.
- Have your child use a marker to write a message from one end of the wrapped paper to the other, crossing over the strip's edges. If his message is long, encourage him to write a line beneath the first one.
- Carefully help him remove the taped paper strip from the broom handle.
- Have him take a look at the paper strip and the jumbled, seemingly random letters.
- Let him give his secret message to a friend. Does he think his friend can figure it out?