How to Make Knitting Needles
Interesting in picking up knitting with your child? Well skip the trip to the store to pick-up your brand new knitting needles -- if you have a pair of chopsticks lying around from a past take-out dinner, then you have DIY craft waiting to happen! Help your child craft her first pair of knitting needles with just a little sharpening, sanding and painting.
What You Need:
- Wooden chopsticks
- 2 clothespins
- Pencil sharpener
- Coarse sandpaper
- Wax paper
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brush
What You Do:
- Help your child sharpen the tips in a standard pencil sharpener. Be careful: the tips will likely be rough and splintery.
- Have her sand down the tips of each chopstick with the coarse sandpaper.
- When all the splintery edges have been removed, let her finish sanding the rest of the chopsticks as well.
- Have her place newspaper on a flat surface.
- Next, help your child place the thicker end of each chopstick into the pinching part of each clothespin.
- Have her paint her chopsticks. Encourage her to be creative -- and to also keep the paint over the newspaper.
- Allow the chopsticks to dry completely.
- Then, help your child rub the sheet of wax paper over each chopstick. Now she's ready to become a knitting master!