Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
Summer provides plenty of free time for kids, and a great way they can spend that time is in the kitchen. Here's a recipe for a tasty variation on a classic summer treat: oatmeal chocolate chip cookie sandwiches filled with cinnamon ice cream.
What You Need:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1.5-quart carton French vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
What You Do:
- Parent Prep: Since the kids will be using the mixer and oven, plan on being in the kitchen the entire time as an “assistant.”
- Kids in the Kitchen: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Measure out all your ingredients before you start.
- Place the butter and sugars in the mixer and mix for two minutes, until completely blended. Add the egg and mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Turn the mixer on low, and slowly add these dry ingredients into the mixing bowl just until incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. With a wooden spoon, mix in the oatmeal and the chocolate chips.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Parent Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Kids in the Kitchen: Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out cookie rounds and place ten on each sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes. You will want your parent to help by putting the pan in the oven and rotating the pans halfway through the baking time. Then have your parents remove the cookie pans when done.
- Wait two minutes. Have your parents take a plastic spatula and press down gently on each cookie to lightly flatten them out for the sandwiches. Allow to cool completely.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and allow to soften for about 15 minutes. It may take longer depending on how hot your kitchen is. The ice cream should be soft but not melting.
- Place ice cream in the mixer, and add cinnamon. Mix to incorporate the spice throughout the ice cream.
- Scoop the ice cream back into its container, and return to the freezer for 15 minutes.
Assembling the Sandwiches:
- Take one cookie and flip it so the top of the cookie is now touching the baking tray. You want the smooth side of the cookie facing up.
- Place a soft scoop of the ice cream onto the cookie, and the place a second cookie on top of the ice cream.
- Press down gently to even out the ice cream so that is looks like a sandwich. Wrap in wax paper and place in the freezer for the ice cream to harden.