Celebrate spring by creating a cute crawly critter bag to fill with your favorite candy! The basket is made from two strips of construction paper stapled together as a base, with two construction paper ladybugs on either side. Add tissue paper or netting to keep your sweet treats inside the basket. This is great gift bag to celebrate the new insects, flowers and sunshine of spring!
What You Need:
- Construction paper in black, red and green
- Glue stick
- Googly eyes
- Black pompoms
- Black pipe cleaners
- Green tissue paper
What You Do:
- Have your child sketch two large circle ladybug heads on the black construction paper.
- Next comes shape practice! Draw several circles of different sizes on the black construction paper. These will be the polka dots for the ladybug’s body.
- Have your child fold the red construction paper in half and draw a large circle on it for the ladybug’s body.
- Next, cut the body out. Since the paper was layered, you will have cut out two identical shapes.
- Glue the black polka dots on the two red bodies.
- Glue the heads on each body.
- Position and glue two googly eyes onto each head.
- Have your child cut two 3” pieces of pip cleaner, and fold them each into a "V" shape. Glue them to the back of the ladybug head.
- Glue a small black pompom onto the end of each pipe cleaner to create fuzzy antennae.
- Have your child cut three strips of green construction paper, about 1.5x8 inches long.
- Lay one on top of each other in different directions, so they create a cross shape.
- Staple the intersection of the two strips to attach them, and then pull the four loose ends up. Help your child staple these ends to a third strip to create a basket. The third strip should only come up about 3" around the circumference of all strips of paper.
- Cut off the excess paper and bend the other two strips that are across from each other and staple them into a basket handle.
- Staple or glue one ladybug onto each side of the basket.
- Place a small square of tissue paper or netting in the inside of the basket, and it’s ready to fill with candy!