Create a scented surprise for mom on Mother's Day! Make a pillowcase potpourri with dried lavender, perfect for a drawer sachet to keep clothes and linens smelling fresh, or for placing under a pillow to help mom sleep.
What You Do:
- Stack the fabric so the corners are even. Pin the top and side edges with dressmaking pins so they don’t move.
- Thread the needle and knot the end of the string. Sew around the three pinned edges of the pillow case using a running stitch. (Down and up with small, even spaces between each stitch). When you reach the end of the third side, knot the string to hold it in place.
- Fold the pillowcase inside out so the stitching cannot be seen.
- Stuff the pillow with toy stuffing or pillow stuffing.
- Add a handful of lavender to the inside of the pillow.
- Sew the bottom edge of the pillowcase shut.
- Using the fabric paint, decorate a delicate flower on the corner of the pillow using a fine paintbrush.
Share this beautiful pillow with mom or anyone who wants their clothing or linens to smell beautiful!
Ellen Dean has worked as an art educator in Thailand since 2005, working with both children and adults. She has also been a professional artist working in painting, sculpture and photography since 1996.