Learn about Community Helpers
There's no better day than Labor Day to encourage your youngster to recognize all the people whose efforts benefit the community. In this activity, your kid will create a chart of job titles, which will help her to recognize the people who make a contribution to others through their hard work day in and day out.
What You Need:
- Construction paper
What You Do:
- On a sheet of paper, help your child make a list of the people she comes in contact with during one weekday. Walk her through the day step-by-step. Perhaps there is a police officer that helps her across a crosswalk to the bus, and a bus driver who drives her to school where her teacher will help her learn valuable skills. List each worker in order and have her explain to you what they do.
- Encourage her to write her name in the center of a sheet of construction paper.
- Using her name as the center point, help her draw lines extending outward, one for each worker that's on her list.
- Then help her write a different occupation from her list at the end of each ray using a pencil.
- Have her use markers to trace over the words. She can also decorate the page by drawing tools next to each occupation.