Any St. Patrick's Day celebration is sure to involve a little mischief, maybe some treats, and a whole lot of green. Mix it up this St. Paddy's Day and throw a little learning into the pot with a leprechaun matching game. This activity will help improve your child's memorization skills and he'll likely find the variations in how leprechauns are depicted very interesting. Remember that leprechauns are crafty characters, so matching them up might be difficult for your little one initially. But with a dash of perseverance, he'll pair them up in no time.
What You Need:
- Green poster board (you might need two pieces)
- Internet access
- 18 different images of leprechauns (2 copies of each for matching purposes)
What You Do:
- Have your child cut out twenty rectangles that are about 2" x 3" in size from the green posterboard. These will be the game cards.
- Let him get on the Internet to find various pictures of leprechauns. Be sure to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't stray from the task.
- Help him print out two pictures of each leprechaun.
- Have your child trim the pictures down to size.
- Now, encourage him to glue each picture onto a green rectangle card.
- Let the the cards dry for at least an hour.
- Now the fun begins! Have your child flip all the cards over so the plain sides are facing up and arrange them in a 6 x 6 grid on a flat surface.
- Tell him to flip over two cards at a time. If the pictures don't match, he has to flip them over and try again. If they do, he can remove them from the grid.
- Continue the game until all the leprechauns are paired up.