Letter to Your Teacher
Start the school year off on the right foot by treating your child's new teacher to a special heart-felt surprise! Kids can create a cool card style letter welcoming him or her to the new class.
What You Need:
- 8 x 10 card stock
- Notebook paper
- Markers or crayons
What You Do:
- Have your child fold the cardstock either vertically or horizontally to make it look like a card. Make sure to teach her new vocabulary words (or review old ones) such as ‘horizontal’ or ‘vertical’.
- Brainstorm ideas to include in the letter writing section. These should be attributes and information specific to your child. Use the notebook paper and a thin marker to write a rough draft, list style. For example, your child may want to include likes such as a favorite school subject, a well loved book, how many siblings she has, somewhere that she went on vacation or why she is excited to start school this year.
- Open the card and ask your child to write her letter to the teacher. Include formal elements such as the salutation. Write the introduction (using the list) as well as a warm welcome to the teacher. Young children who cannot yet write, or write neatly enough to read, can have a parent’s help for this step.
- Close the card and ask your little one to draw a picture on the front. Make it auto-biographical and create a self-portrait using markers and crayons or choose a school them such as bubble letter A,B,C’s or an apple for the teacher.
- Place your finished letter into a large mailing envelope and decorate it with more marker drawings. Write a “to” and “from” section in the middle featuring both the teacher’s and your child’s names.
Your child will brighten her teacher's day with this thoughtful homemade card!