Little Red Felt Hen Craft Activity
Teach your child the value of hard work with this brightly colored bird, based on the folktale The Little Red Hen. Help your child paint the farm where Hen toils to make her bread, being sure to include her lazy, barnyard friends—Dog, Cat and Duck. Your little crafter will love reaping the rewards of this craft; strengthened hand muscles, better hand-eye coordination and a feathered friend for story time.
What You Need:
- 4 inch x 5 inch Cardstock
- Blue Tempera Paint
- Red and Yellow felt
- Wiggle eyes
What You Do:
- Have your little one paint the cardstock with a barnyard scene using tempera paint and set it aside to dry.
- Help your child draw the shapes for Hen onto the felt using a marker, including the hen's head, crown, beak, body, tail feathers, wing and feet.
- Assist your kid as she cuts out all body parts of the hen and assembles them on the dried cardstock.
- Guide tiny hands as they glue the body parts into place, overlapping the shapes as needed.
- Attach a wiggle eye onto your hen with glue.
- If your child’s looking for more details, help her draw some in with a black marker, such as feathers, a mouth on the beak, eyebrow, or rings on the legs.
Ellen Dean has worked as an art educator in Thailand since 2005, working with both children and adults. She has also been a professional artist working in painting, sculpture and photography since 1996.