Halloween is the best time of year to read creepy, bewitching stories. Your child can enjoy any number of wondrous worlds while keeping her place with a pair of long witch legs for a bookmark. This seasonal project involves twisting and shaping pipe cleaners to create the illusion of legs being caught inside the pages of a book. Maybe the witch in the plot is trying to escape the book? Your child will be inspired to tell her own stories while using these funny legs for a bookmark.
What You Need:
- 2-3 pipe cleaners
What You Do:
- Ask your child to choose one chenille stick to be the "feet" of the legs.
- Have her bend it into a thin "U" shape. Place the bottom of the "U" at the top.
- Encourage her to make a bend about 1.5" from the bottom of one leg to create an ankle, then fold the end of the stick back toward the ankle to finish creating a foot.
- Repeat this on both sides to create two feet.
- Have her choose a second pipe cleaner for the stockings, or pants.
- Show her how to coil the pipe cleaner by wrapping it tightly around the legs. Begin wrapping wherever she wants the clothing on the legs to begin.
- Continue wrapping and coiling the pipe cleaner until it reaches the other side of the second leg. If you run out, begin twisting another pipe cleaner starting where the first one ended.
- Cut off any part of the stick that you don't need.
- Place in a book as a bookmark with the legs hanging out so the pants can be seen. Friends will laugh when they see legs closed in a book.
No need to limit yourself to the orange and black. If the character in a book or series your kid's reading wears a distinctive outfit you can construct the legs of that particular character.