From wizards to fairy godmothers, a magic wand is an essential element to any magical tale. Work with your tiny crafter to create this magic wand craft. Whether your child’s more interested in fulfilling princess wishes or chasing down fellow wizards, this project will inspire hours of free play—and make the perfect accompaniment to fairytale story time. Bibbidi, bobbidi boo!
What You Need:
- Paper towel tube
- Tempera Paint
- Paint Brushes
- Ribbons, cut at different lengths
- Glitter Glue
What You Do:
- Hold the inside of the paper towel tube as your child paints it with tempera paint in any colors or patterns she’d like. Set the towel tube aside to dry.
- Help her draw or trace a star on the cardstock and cut it out.
- Have your little artist paint the star with her favorite color tempera, and allow it to dry completely.
- Together, add some sparkle to the star with glitter glue. Allow the glue to dry.
- Help your child staple ribbons at different lengths from the bottom of the star.
- Staple the star to the top of the paper towel roll.
- With your child, look up some famous spell incantations. Your tiny wizard is now ready to tackle the wonderful world of magic.
Ellen Dean has worked as an art educator in Thailand since 2005, working with both children and adults. She has also been a professional artist working in painting, sculpture and photography since 1996.