Help your child create a colorful, patterned structure using just a few readily-available materials. By placing drilled magnets around a dowel, he can create an original design by experimenting with color and spacing. He will explore his own imagination and discover some of the peculiar properties of magnets. Aside from the preparation work, most of this craft project can be done by your child using his own creative mind. This project makes a unique gift for friends or family that your child will be proud to present!
What You Need:
- Several magnets with holes drilled through the center
- Spray paint (optional)
What You Do:
- Stand dowel in clay to hold it in place as your child is working with it.
- If your child wishes to use colored magnets, spray paint magnets any desired color. Make sure to let magnets dry completely before working with them.
- Ask your child to slide the magnets onto the dowel rod one at a time to create a pattern by using different combinations of magnets, colors, and space.
- Spaces will be formed by the magnets repelling each other.
To vary this project in the future, consider spray painting the dowel as well. In order to spice this up as a holiday gift, have your child choose specific holiday colors and add glitter or other extras to the magnets or dowel. Have fun creating and exploring the wonders of magnets!