With the rise of GPS, the charm of maps is, regrettably, often overlooked. Bring the crisscrossing lines of highways, the bright blue of rivers and sprawling webs of metropolitan areas to your family's dining table with simple and functional map coasters!
What You Need:
- Craft varnish
What You Do:
- Gather your old maps together and sort through them with your child. Focus on maps that display locations special or memorable to her. They can be of family vacation destinations or even the surrounding streets around grandma's house.
- Have her place the coaster on the back of her chosen map.
- Help her use a pencil to trace the coaster.
- Let her cut out traced map square.
- Have him cover the entire top of the coaster with glue.
- Place the cutout piece of map on top of the coaster.
- Help your child smooth down the edges and remove the air bubbles.
- Cover the top of the coaster with a coat of craft varnish.
- Let the map coaster sit to dry for a few hours.
If you and your child want to make a whole set of coasters, try cutting out sections of the map that are next to each other. This way, you'll create coasters that can be fitted back together like a puzzle! At mealtime, your family can try to trace your latest road trip or the route to grandma's over the different coasters.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.