Here's a surefire way to get your kids practicing their ABCs. Create an edible alphabet out of marshmallows and toothpicks to reinforce letter recognition. Teach your child individual letters, or show her how to spell her name. And of course, she'll love munching on a few marshmallows along the way, too.
What You Need:
- Round toothpicks (be sure to use round toothpicks and not flat toothpicks since flat toothpicks break easily when inserted into styrofoam)
- Colored marshmallows
What You Do:
- Think of a few letters for your child to practice and write them on a piece of styrofoam. Choose consecutive letters or the letters in her name.
- Insert toothpicks along the outline of each letter, spaced about 1" apart from each other.
- Stick a marshmallow onto each toothpick.
- Now it's time to practice. Help her read the marshmallow letters, encouraging her to give the name of each letter and the sound it makes.
Remove the marshmallows when you're finished practicing and reuse the styrofoam for other things.