The winter holidays are filled with cookies, candy, and other sugary indulgences. To offset the treats with a little extra nutrition, create a frosty—and edible!—friend, made completely of wholesome vegetables. Your child will have so much fun building and eating his snowman, he won’t even realize he’s eating a serving of vegetables!
What You Do:
- Wash, peel, and boil potatoes until soft.
- Drain cooked potatoes and place into a large bowl.
- Have your child use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until they're smooth.
- Help your child add the cauliflower puree, salt, and butter and mix until well-combined.
- Chill potatoes in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Using an ice cream or melon scoop, or clean hands, help your child form three balls out of the potato mixture for the snowman’s body.
- Stack the scoops on top of each other, snowman-style, pressing them down gently to secure them in place.
- Add carrot sticks for the nose and arms, and peas for the eyes and mouth.
- Warm slightly in the microwave, if desired, then gobble him up before he “melts.”
Makes 2-5 snowmen, depending on size.