According to some, the world should have ended on December 21, 2012. Celebrate our continued existence with this historical art project that serves as a great starting point for an investigation into the Ancient Mayans.
What You Need:
- Paper plate
- Colored pencils
- Picture of a Mayan calendar
What You Do:
- Browse the internet with your child to get the facts on the Mayans and their special calendar. Why do some people believe the Mayans predicted the end of our world? How does your child think such a prediction could be possible?
- Now it's your child's chance to create a little history of her own. Set the paper plate beside the picture of the Mayan calendar.
- Help her use a pencil to sketch out a Mayan face on the paper plate.
- Once she's satisified, have her use colored pencils to color in the calendar. She can keep it brown or gray like the Mayans.
- After she's finished, she can hang up her reminder of the Mayan calendar in her own room.