Help your child reinforce the order of the alphabet with this hands-on activity using some everyday materials. It’s a fun way to put a spin on a timeless skill.
What You Need:
- 2 long pieces of string of equal length
- 2” alphabet letters (preferably cut from card stock)
What You Do:
- Tape the pieces of string to a wall, one above the other.
- Attach 26 clothespins to each string.
- Randomly attach the alphabet letters onto the first line of string.
- Now play the alphabet sorting game. Ask your child to help you put the letters in the right order. Get him in the mood by singing the alphabet song.
- Ask him what the first letter of the alphabet is, then have him find it on the first string. When he finds the letter, have him unpin it and attach it to the second string, all the way to the left.
- Continue helping him sort out the alphabet, pinning the letters in the correct order until all the letters are on the second string. Sing the alphabet song again, this time inviting him to proudly point to each letter that he put in the correct place!