Mocktails are fancy non-alcoholic drinks perfect for celebrations. Often times, New Year's celebrations are geared more towards adults, and the kids don’t get to join in the fun. One way to help kids celebrate is to let them make their own fruity mocktails to drink during the countdown. Making mocktails will help your child learn to get comfortable in the kitchen and to be creative while experimenting with different recipes. Make a batch of mocktails for kids and adults alike at your New Year's Eve celebration.
What You Need:
- Variety of different fruit flavored sodas
- Variety of different fresh or frozen fruits (strawberries, raspberries, cranberries and peaches work great)
- 1 cup measuring cup
- Cutting board
- Some fancy glasses for the finished product!
What You Do:
- Before you begin, explain to your child how to use a blender safely. If she's never used a blender before, have your child put the lid on the blender and turn it on, so she knows what it will sound like when it's running.
- Let your child pick out one flavor of soda and one fruit that they want to use to make their mocktail. She can use grape flavored soda with grapes, or she can mix it up by using strawberry flavored soda with bananas. Whatever her tastebuds desire!
- Help your child measure out 2 cups of the fruit flavored soda and pour it into the blender.
- Have your child wash and prepare the fruit they want to include. If she is using a larger fruit like a peach, you may need to help her by cutting it into smaller pieces.
- Instruct your child to put 1 cup of fruit into the blender with the soda.
- Finally, have your child measure 2 cups of ice and add that to the blender. (You can use less ice if you're using frozen fruit.)
- Once everything is in the blender, tell your child to put the lid on and let her go! Let the blender run until the mixture looks smooth and pourable. You’ll want the ice pretty well crushed and the fruit chunks pureed.
- Pour the mixture into a fancy glass, and have your child taste her delicious concoction to see what she thinks!
This is also a great activity if you have multiple kids together for a New Year’s party because they can each have a chance to make their own mocktail. Make as many as you like and enjoy the New Year's festivities!
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.