Let your little monster create and illustrate his own Halloween tale -- inspired by Ed Emberly's popular book Go Away, Big Green Monster! Using beautiful oil pastels and his own wild imagination, your child will come up with his own spooky, spectacular or spine-tingling monster.
What You Need:
- Go Away, Big Green Monster by Ed Emberly
- Black construction paper
- Oil pastels
What You Do:
- Read Go Away, Big Green Monster with your child.
- What does he like about the book? If he could create his own monster, what would it look like?
- Have your child pick his favorite page of the book, displaying his favorite shot of the big green monster.
- Prop the book up on the table so it shows his favorite page.
- Set the black construction paper and pencil on the table in front of your child.
- Have him use a pencil to lightly draw his own monster on the construction paper. It can be just like the big green monster from the book or something entirely new! Encourage him to use his creativity to come up with a hilarious -- or horrifying -- creature.
- Let him fill in his drawing with the oil pastels.
- Show him how you can smudge the pastels against the black paper.
- Once he's finished, have him write a story to go along with the monster. \
- Display his illustrated monster and accompanying story for your whole family to admire!