Embrace the spooky and creepy thrills of Halloween night with a nightlight that will do more to frighten than soothe. Arising out of your kid’s own creative genius, a dimly monster will throw its shadow across the room. Simple, cheap and full of scary charm, this is the perfect pre-Halloween craft.
What You Need:
- Glass vase
- Tea light candle
- Black construction paper
- Scratch paper
What You Do:
- Have your child practice drawing monsters on a sheet of scratch paper. Does she want her monster to have scary spikes or a long slippery tongue? Encourage her to really stretch her imagination.
- Once she's perfected her drawing, let her draw it on the black construction paper.
- Have her use scissors to cut the monster out. Make sure she takes her time -- hasty cutting equals a clipped off claw or two.
- Show her how to wrap a strip of tape around your finger, sticky side out, to make a loop of double-sided tape.
- Have your child attach double-sided tape loops to the back side of her monster.
- Let her press her monster against the outside of a glass vase.
- Help her light a tea candle with a match.
- Let her carefully drop the tea light candle into the glass vase.
- Turn off the lights and let your child's spooky monster cast its shadow across the room!