Embrace the spooky and creepy thrills of Halloween night with a nightlight that will do more to frighten than soothe. Arising out of your kid’s own creative genius, this monster will throw its shadow across the room. Simple, cheap and full of scary charm, it's the perfect pre-Halloween craft.
What You Need:
- Glass jar
- Tealight candle
- Black construction paper
- Scratch paper
What You Do:
- Have your child practice drawing monsters on a sheet of scratch paper. Does she want her monster to have scary spikes or a long slippery tongue? Encourage her to really stretch her imagination.
- Once she's perfected her drawing, let her draw it on the black construction paper.
- Have her use scissors to cut the monster out. Make sure she takes her time—hasty cutting equals a clipped off claw or two.
- Show her how to wrap a strip of tape around her finger, sticky side out, to make a loop of double-sided tape.
- Have your child attach double-sided tape loops to the back side of her monster.
- Let her press her monster against the outside of a glass vase.
- Help her light the tealight candle using a match.
- Let her carefully drop the tealight candle into the glass vase.
- Turn off the lights and let your child's spooky monster cast its shadow across the room!