Musical Magical Hoops!
Musical Magical Hoops combines elements of Musical Chairs and the game Statues but unlike those two games, this one also tests your child’s memory. It will help him recognize colors, build his listening skills, discriminate between sound and silence, and develop his reflexes. That last one is a great self-regulation skill!
What You Need:
- Several plastic hula hoops in three colors, scattered around the floor
- CD and CD player
What You Do:
- Determine what motor skill will be represented by what color hoop. For example, if you have hoops in red, blue, and yellow laid out, the red could indicate running in place, the blue might indicate shaking all over, and the yellow could mean stretching. These will be the only skills allowed inside those hoops!
- Start the music, which is your child’s signal to move in any way she wants throughout the room.
- When the music stops (you press the pause button), she steps into the nearest hoop.
- For as long as the music is stopped, while inside that hoop, she must perform the movement designated to that hoop!
- When your child’s memory skills are ready for a greater challenge, add more hoops in more colors with different kinds of movements.
If you have a remote control for your CD player, you can join in on the fun! It makes it more enjoyable for your child and it also gives you a chance to get some fun physical activity. This is a great game to do outdoors during those warm summer months.