Names of Shapes
Brush up your knowledge of shapes in this fun board game! Roll the die to see where you land. Say the name of the shape correctly and you'll get a chance to roll again. Use a combination of luck and skill to reach the finish line first. Try printing out a blank playing board (near the bottom of the page) and make this activity your own!
Terms to Know:
polygon: a closed plane figure bound by straight sides
quadrilateral: a shape with four sides
parallelogram: a four sided shape in which opposite sides are parallel to one another
rhombus: a parallelogram in which all sides are of equal length
trapezoid: a four-sided shape in which two sides are parallel
pentagon: a five-sided shape
hexagon: a six-sided shape
heptagon: a seven-sided shape
octagon: an eight-sided shape
nonagon: a nine-sided shape
decagon: a ten-sided shape
What You Need:
- One die (Print a template.)
- A place marker for each player (a bean, coin, etc.)
- One Name the Number playing board (Print this out.)
What You Do:
- Players each select a place marker and put it at the starting point on the game board.
- Players take turns rolling the die. The roll determines how many cells they may move. All players may move for "free" on their first turn.
- Beginning in the second round, a player must correctly name the shape inside their marker's space before being allowed to roll.
- Only one marker may occupy a space. If two players land on the same space, the last one stays and the other player must return to start.
- The first player to reach the halfway point and then return to start wins.
Create your own game board. (Print a blank game board here.)