After School Snacks
Running out of after-school snack ideas for your young one? Make a Nest in a Basket! Simply shape and bake shredded wheat and coconut into a basket, and fill it with some yogurt and grapes for a satisfying treat that's sure to please. Nest in a Basket can be a wonderful part of any child's lunch or can be served as an appetizer or snack for a festive spring party!
Cook Time: 60 minutes
What You Need:
- 3 large shredded wheat biscuits
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut
- 11⁄2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 11⁄2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 cup grapes
- Optional: Lettuce leaves or sprouts
- Oven, preheated to 350 degrees F
- Muffin tins
- Aluminum foil
- 3 to 6 salad plates
- Medium mixing bowl and spoon
- Oven mitts
What You Do:
- Line the muffin cups with aluminum foil, letting some foil overhang each cup. Set aside.
- Place a lettuce leaf or large pinch of sprouts on each salad plate. Set aside.
- Crumble the shredded wheat into the mixing bowl. Add the coconut and brown sugar to the crumbled shredded wheat and mix together with the mixing spoon.
- Pour the melted butter over the shredded wheat mixture and mix well.
- Press the shredded wheat mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of the muffin cups.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 10 minutes, or until wheat biscuit mixture is light golden brown and crisp. Wear oven mitts and remove the muffin tin from the oven. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove the nests from the pans by lifting the foil by the edges. Gently peel the foil off the nest baskets.
- Place the nest basket on a salad plate covered with lettuce or sprouts.
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of yogurt in the bottom of each nest basket. Place grapes in the nest baskets on top of the yogurt to resemble eggs.
Now just place the nests on a pretty platter and serve!