Net Craft: Make a Bug Net! Activity
Let your adventurous kindergartener go bug hunting in the great outdoors with her very own bug net! No fancy supplies necessary for this net craft -- just grab a few household items, follow the instructions and prepare for a wild hunting season.
What You Need:
- Wire coat hanger
- Duct tape
- Large needle
- Plastic mesh bag
- Clear jar
- Plastic wrap
What You Do:
- Help your child bend the body of the coat hanger into a loop.
- Use the pliers to turn the hanging part of the coat hanger into a sturdy handle.
- Let your child wrap the handle in duct tape.
- Have her stretch the opening of the mesh bag around the hanger loop.
- Help her fold the bag over the hanger loop.
- Use the yarn and needle to sew the mesh bag on the wire loop.
- Time to go bug hunting! Take a walk outside with your child. Help her hold her bug net upright so she can catch as many bugs as possible.
- If she's having trouble hitting the bug jackpot, show the best way to catch bugs. She needs to quickly swipe her net before closing the mouth of the bag to keep any bugs trapped inside.
- Go after slower insects as well like spiders and beetles.
- She can transfer her bugs to a the clear jar.
- Help her put plastic wrap over the jar.
- She should poke tiny holes in the plastic wrap so that the bugs get air.
- Let her study the bugs she has caught. What are her favorite parts of each bug?
- Help her release the bugs after she finishes studying them.
- Let her store her net craft in a safe place until the next hunting adventure!