Get ready to play with numbers outdoors! Your child will actively build a strong math foundation while playing outdoors. This game is also a great way to help kids learn how to effectively follow directions. Grab some chalk, do some preliminary stretches and start memorizing those numbers.
What You Need:
- Paved outdoor area
- Colored sidewalk chalk
What You Do:
- Ask the players to spread out and assign them a number to write in chalk on the pavement. Make sure they make the numbers large enough so they can be seen from a distance and far enough away from one another that they don't collide while running to their numbers!
- Explain that you will shout out a number randomly. When the players hear it, they need to dash to the number and stand on top of it.
- Tell them to stand on that number until you call out the next number.
- If players get to the number first, have them cheer on their friends until they find their own numbers.
- After the players get comfortable with the game, switch it up a bit and have one of the kids call out the numbers. Or, trade out the numbers for colors or shapes.