Play Breakfast Cook and Learn to Count to 10 Activity
This engaging preschool counting game lets little imaginations play while teaching number recognition and counting from 1-10. Serve up this activity to your preschooler to give her counting skills a healthy boost.
What You Need:
- 10 plastic Easter eggs
- Yellow construction paper
- 10 paper plates
- Black marker
- Frying pan and spatula (real or pretend)
What You Do:
- Start by making your number "yolks". Cut out 10 yolk-like circles from the construction paper. On each yolk, draw a number of dots, starting with 1 and counting up to 10. For example, on the first yolk, draw one dot. On the second, draw two. The last yolk should have ten dots. For better durability, you can laminate them.
- Number the paper plates from 1-10 and lay them out in order on the floor.
- Place one paper yolk in each plastic Easter egg.
- Now it's time to play Breakfast Cook. Have your child sit on the floor in front of the paper plates. Place the frying pan in front of her and arrange the ten eggs beside her.
- Ask your child to "crack" each egg over the frying pan. Encourage her to be as imaginative as she likes, pretending to cook the yolk by flipping it a few times with the spatula.
- Once she's finished cooking the egg, have your child serve up the yolk on the correct plate, counting the dots as she does. Order up!
- Once all eggs have been cracked and served, try mixing up the order of the plates to make matching numbers more challenging.
Adapted with permission from "Learn Every Day About Numbers." Copyright 2009 by Kathy Charner (Editor). Used by Permission of Gryphon House, Inc., Maryland. All Rights Reserved.