Oatmeal Face Mask Activity
Did you know that January is National Oatmeal Month? Winter weather sure leaves skin feeling dry and chapped. Your child can transform plain old oatmeal into a healthy face mask. This recipe works well for a spa sleepover party, or a kid-made gift, too! Along with learning more about oatmeal and all it has to offer, she’ll create something that will leave her skin soft and glowing.
What You Need:
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Small bowl
What You Do:
- Get started by having your child measure 1 cup of oatmeal into the blender. Have her give the oatmeal a quick spin in the blender for 10 seconds.
- Now she can place the coarse oatmeal in the bowl and add the warm water. Encourage her to give it a good stir.
- Next, have her mix in the honey and yogurt.
- It’s time for facials! Your child can gather the whole family to enjoy a relaxing facial, or she can use these masks as part of a pampering party for her and her friends.
- Invite your child to gently apply the oatmeal facial to her face, and anyone else interested in a soothing facial, avoiding the eye area in case of irritation. Leave the mask on for 10 minutes, then wash off over the kitchen sink (bathroom sinks aren't made to withstand food products!). Have her scrub away any smaller leftover pieces with a damp washcloth or cotton balls to reveal glowing, healthy skin!
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.