This cute duster is a fun and eco-friendly way to jazz up household cleaning. And who knows—your kids just might volunteer to clean the house for a chance to play with Ollie the Octopus!
What You Do:
- Cut the ribbed area of the tube sock into 8 strips, stopping halfway through the length of the sock. Cut a small hole in the toe about the size of the dowel.
- Stuff the toe of the sock with the pillow stuffing or plastic grocery bags.
- Secure the center of the sock just below the stuffed area with a rubber band.
- Have your child glue jewels and buttons onto the sock to give the octopus a face and other decorations. Let dry.
- If you like, make it a polka-dotted creature by using the ink daubers to make dots (optional).
- Put glue on the top part of the dowel stick and push it into the hole in the toe end of the stuffed sock. Glue the edges of the hole to the dowel and let dry.
The Octopus Duster is now ready to dust away cobwebs and high shelves!
For added fun, include a note or poem such as the following:
Here is an octopus just for you To help with dusting that you do. If reaching high is the case Use his legs with a happy face.
Adapted with permission from "101 Great Gifts From Kids." Copyright 2002 by Stephanie R. Meuller and Ann E. Wheeler. Used by Permission of Gryphon House, Inc., Maryland. All Rights Reserved.