Over and Out!: 2 Great Obstacle Courses
You don't need a sunny day to create an obstacle course. This one works just fine in the living room. Once you've set it up, make sure to demonstrate it at least once before giving your kid a crack at it. Keep in mind that you'll likely need to shout out reminders for the sections, since it will probably be too difficult for your child to remember the entire set of directions. Below is a sample course. If you don't have one of the items listed, feel free to substitute something else!
What You Need:
- A gang of energetic kids — 4 or more is ideal
- Obstacles! These can be anything from furniture to toys to sports equipment. See the instructions below for inspiration.
What You Do:
- Bunny hop (hop forward with feet together) five times.
- Crawl through a tunnel. (You can create a tunnel by placing a sheet over some chairs placed across from each other.)
- Walk over several pillows or sofa cushions that are on the floor with space in between. (Your child will have to use balance to walk over this soft surface.)
- Climb over an ottoman or footrest.
- Use a large cooking spoon to transfer 3-5 blocks (or other small toys) one at a time into a bucket or container placed several feel away. (This is a great way to work on that coordination!)
- Do five jumping jacks.
- Side-step five times.
- Toss 3-5 soft balls or stuffed animals into a laundry basket several feet away.
- “Walk the tightrope!” (Place a jump rope or measuring tape on the floor and have your child walk across it, heel to toe.)
- Bunny hop five more times to the finish line!
For an Outdoor Obstacle Course:
If you're lucky enough to get a warm day, you can move the indoor course outside, or use the following suggestions. Got a swing set or jungle gym? Add that into the mix as well! Here's how:
- Bunny-hop five times.
- Go up the ladder and down the slide.
- Swing on the swing as you count to ten.
- Jump over a set of sticks or branches.
- Use a cooking spoon to transfer rocks to a bucket.
- Jump up and down five times.
- Toss balls into a container.
- "Walk the tightrope."
- Run back to the starting line.