Paint a Fall Leaf Tablecloth
With the arrival of fall comes a rainbow of beautiful colors. Kids are guaranteed to get into the fall spirit as they use beautiful fall colors to paint and print leaves. The end result is a one-of-a-kind tablecloth, perfect for your next fall celebration.
What You Need:
- Plain white cotton tablecloth
- Fabric paints
- Scrap paper
What You Do:
- Head outdoors with your child and collect leaves from around your yard or neighborhood. While you’re walking, see how many different colors your child can find in the falling leaves.
- After you've collected a variety of leaves, head home and place the leaves on the work area with your tablecloth. Have your child think about her leaf tablecloth design. Does she want to cover the tablecloth with leaves, make a border of leaves, or just create a random design?
- Take a look at the leaves and have your child name the main colors she sees. Which colors does she think best represent fall? After she picks to best fall colors, help her choose the right paint colors and pour them onto paper plates.
- Next, have her place the leaf on a piece of scrap paper and use a brush to paint the leaf.
- Then, she can lift up the leaf and press it onto the white tablecloth, gently pressing over the top of the leaf with a clean piece of scrap paper.
- Help her slowly lift the leaf, and she should have a beautiful printed leaf picture! Encourage her to continue painting and printing until her design is complete.
- Finally, follow the directions on the fabric paint to set the paint.
When the tablecloth is all done, put it on your table to get your house all ready for the fall season!