Mother's Day Painting
Mary Cassatt is an American Impressionist painter who focused her work on the relationships between mothers and children. Not only is her work touching and inspiring, but her life was as well. She overcame many obstacles in order to pursue a career as an artist—including the misconception that women's jobs were strictly inside the home!
Celebrate this important woman in history with an activity that you can do with your child. She'll create a painting that demonstrates a special moment between mother and child, such as Cassatt's painting entitled La Toilette, 1891. Painting this will tap into her creativity as it shows her a new style of art. And, this framed masterpiece makes a great Mother's Day gift!
What You Need:
- Canvas (any size)
- Acrylic paints (suggested colors: titanium white, cadmium red, cadmium yellow, pthalo blue, pthalo green, burnt umber or burnt sienna)
- Paintbrushes (small, medium, and large)
- Container of water to clean brushes
- Paper or plastic palette to mix paints
- Small spray bottle of water