Your mom works hard, and a homemade present is the perfect way to show your appreciation. Give her a tea-time break for Mother's Day, her birthday, or any other day of the year!
What You Do:
- Think of designs for the cup that your mom might like, such as hearts, flowers, or a rainbow. Practice drawing them with a pencil and paper.
- Use acrylic paints and paintbrushes to paint the outside of the teacup. Keep the acrylic paint away from the top edge of the cup. Your mom won't be able to drink from the cup if there's paint where she sips from.
- After the paint has dried, carefully paint on the designs you practiced. You could even write her name on the cup or something cute like "World's Best Mom". Experiment with what you think your mom would like best.
- Arrange a collection of tea bags inside the cup. Try to find enough tea to fill up the cup.
- Wrap the whole cup with clear cellophane paper and then tie the top closed with a pretty ribbon.
Remember this gift idea isn't restricted to only the wonderful moms of the world! Grandparents, teachers, friends, or anyone else who might enjoy an extra-special cup of tea would make great recipients.
Beth Levin has an M.A. in Curriculum and Education from Columbia University Teachers College. She has written educational activities for Macmillan/McGraw-Hill and Renaissance Learning publishers. She has a substitute teaching credential for grades K-12 in Oregon, where she lives with her husband and two daughters.