One of the best parts of eating at a Chinese restaurant is getting a fortune cookie at the end of the meal! You can make your very own fortune cookies from paper and share good fortunes with family and friends. These fortune cookies are a great way to learn basic origami and make fantastic party gifts!
What You Do:
- Have your child draw a circle on a sheet of origami paper and cut it out.
- Then, have him curve the top of the circle to touch the bottom of the circle, without folding the circle in half. Gently press the middle of the circle to make a small crease.
- Holding where the edges of the circle meets, use the other hand to press and indentation while folding the edges of the paper towards one another.
- Put a dot of hot glue on the inside of one side of the folded edge, close to the small crease. Then press the two sides together to form a cookie shape.
- Have him write a fortune on a sheet of paper and gently slide it into the folded cookie.
Helpful Hint: Practice makes perfect. This is a challenging fold and may take a few tries to get the paper folds to cooperate. Once your kid gets the hang of it, make a bunch of them to give to friends and family!